Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Gary's Memorial

I attended the memorial service of my friend Gary last night. I have been to far too many of these things in recent years. Sigh

Though I knew this already, Gary spent the last several years of his life quietly serving others. Of the few hundred people at the memorial, about a dozen or so took the podium to share something specific from Gary's story. The first was a 14 year old boy, whom Gary had mentored at church. Sobbing, this lad shared that when life got tough for him, as it often did, "Gary was the first person I always wanted to talk to."

Gary's life touched so many from so many different walks of life. Having been in prison many years ago, he weekly visited others who are in prison now. Fourteen of those people sent written notes of gratitude to the Memorial.

With the help of Jesus, Gary beat a substance abuse problem (that led to his incarceration) and spent the rest of his life helping others beat addictions. Several of those people were at the service to express their heartfelt appreciation for all of Gary's efforts.

Gary was a business owner, and met with a small band of other business owners (where I met him) every Thursday. There were CEOs who shared their memories of Gary as a man who wanted to reflect Jesus at work.

Gary was involved in his home church (and other churches) and people from all walks of life at these churches shared how Gary had touched their lives.

Gary was a Father, and his two children each took the podium to share what a great dad they had and how much they will miss him. His daughter, through tears and while holding her own 2 year old son, said "I had the greatest dad in the world."

It is clear that Gary lived a quality life. The best definition of success I have ever heard is:

True success is when the people who know you best, love and respect you the most.
One man shared a quote from Gary that shed true light on the perspective from which he lived his life.

We are not Human Beings having a Spiritual experience --
We are Spiritual Beings having a Human experience.

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
AND
Gary Tewell
I can only hope to have as much love and appreciation expressed when I leave this earth as my friends have had. I love and miss each one of you: Patty, Merlyn and now Gary. You continue to inspire me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home