Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Merlyn's Work is Finished

I have shared with you over the past few weeks the last days of my dear friend Merlyn(Authenticity and A Meaningful Life). Last night, 1-31-06, Merlyn died. He truly fought the good fight and kept the faith right to the end of his earthly journey.

I got this note from his loving, loyal wife this morning:

Merlyn finished his race at 11:20 Tues PM (1-31-06). We were surrounding
his bed and cheering him on as he crossed the finish line. He went
peacefully and while we were still awake, just as you had prayed.
Several times before he left us, he smiled, and twice a tear rolled down
his cheek. He was both sorry to leave and glad to go... Please give the
Lord thanks for lovingly granting the desire of our heart. He has cared
for us as a Father cares for His children whom He loves.


I will miss him greatly. He was a faithful friend who never gave up on me even when I was going through difficult times in my life. He was a Christian who truly understood that GRACE is not merely an intellectual Christian Doctrine, but something that must permeate our lives and our relationships daily. So few Christians understand that concept -- Merlyn lived it. As a result, hundreds and hundreds of people have been positively impacted by his life right up to the very last day.

Many years ago, Merlyn and I were discussing a controversial theological issue that was top-of-mind in our church circles at the time. He and I were on opposite sides of the issue. After a lengthy, sometimes emotional, dialog, Merlyn said something that I ended up carrying with me ever since. He said, "We are human and therefore will never understand ALL the implications of this doctrine, but because it deals with people and how we treat them, I would rather error on the side of Grace." Frankly, I thought he was wishy-washy at the time. To me, the main thing was to be right. To him, the main thing was to be loving. As I have matured (at least a little) I have come to realize just how wise Merlyn's words were -- and they have shaped my life and doctrine ever since. There are scores of commands in the Bible that tell us to love -- in fact Jesus says love is the greatest and the second greatest commandment. I have yet to find a command that tells me to be right -- especially when that "rightness" demonstrates a lack of love to God or any of His creation.

On the last day of his life, Merlyn's hometown newspaper printed this pamphlet that Merlyn wrote about his life -- and impending death. He provides wisdom -- from the vantage point of one staring death in the face -- about preparing for the end of life.

I'm sorry that most of you never had a chance to meet Merlyn and experience his friendship. You would have been the better for it, as I am.

Please join with me in prayer for the wonderful family and legion of friends Merlyn leaves behind. They will need a special dose of GRACE during this time of loss.

2 Comments:

At 11:38 AM , Blogger Craig said...

Dear Craig

From reading your blog and knowing you, I too am sorry I missed knowing Merlyn. I can see how he has impacted your life and through you Merlyn has impacted mine.

The matter of which is more important: 'to be right or to be loving' is so significant for all of us. I greatly appreciate the gift of you introducing me to Merlyn's story. In the end,do we really believe God wants people to think of us as being "right" about the .01% of our perception of truth, or being loving about what we do know?

Maybe the real question is not what we know in terms of information but what we have experienced from God. I believe that real ministry to others (love) is simply the overflow of God's love to us; and our capacity to give it out is proportional to our capacity to receive it. I have heard it said (and it is worth repeating) "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

Keith Wasserman

 
At 3:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have tried to leave a comment in the past, but were required to register first, I have figured out how to change that. So you can now post a comment by selecting "anonymous" below. I'd still appreciate it if you'd "sign" your name to your comments.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home